Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
Quote:
Death Valley - been there once in August. Not a good idea

Where's your sense of adventure? =P

If I can manage in winter or early spring the average temperature is in the low 70's. My planned route also has me only going two and a half days with no water once.

I hope you don't feel strange about walking over frozen lakes

You will get some amazing shots if you bring some good camera gear!

I've driven my truck on cracking frozen lakes, so walking across isn't such a big deal for somebody with a Wisconsin background smile

here's what that spot looks like in early June - doesn't seem to be a big deal to get past that small cliff along the northern shoreline of Palisade Lake

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1...157155614308934

Yeah, Death Valley in winter - was considering that back in the 80s already when I had a few weeks off and reallyw anted to get out of Wisconsin in January, but I had really no clue about conditions. Probably a good thing it didn't work out, as I clearly was not very concerned about water, something I always had in abundance in the mountains I had been to before.

Camera gear is definitely coming along on my coming Sierra trips. I just bought the Automate 1.0 panoramic bot for some gigapixel deep zooms. Not sure if that would come along in winter (2 pounds + tripod weight), but my next summer visit will see a lot of use of that thing.

Last edited by Fishmonger; 12/01/10 08:27 AM.