These are all undoubtedly great hikes. But do they pass the test of being classic and iconic? Hikes that will have instant recognition by others as either something they've also done or as being something on their "to do" list? ONLY 10 will make the cut! I'm just speculating -- my guess, for example, is that of these hikes only the classic Half Dome hike might draw enough interest to rate in the "TTUSDHYMD".

Wait, isn't this a rule 5 violation??? I don't see anything in the rules about "classic and iconic". Whats so great about hikes that a zillion people a year do? Do we want fifty people to win the "done' em all prize?" Sure, that's one strong recommendation, but avant garde and obscure has its appeal too. I thought the only substantive criterion was "must do". Case in Point, my next nomination:

THE LOST COAST!

Total Distance: 24 miles

Elevation at start: 0 (+-2)

Elevation at Finish: 0 (+-2)

Elevation gain/loss: 0/0

Recommended time: 3 days minimum, but come on, 24 miles with no elevation issue? Cakewalk! Right?

Day hike: theoretically possible but recommended to pick a segment from the map of the whole route.

Recommendations: Along the northern coast of California, civilization has left its mark on all but the most rugged or remote stretches of coastline known as The Lost Coast.

Untouched by major highways and towns, the name is well earned because it can only be accessed by a few back roads leading out of Shelter Cove in the south and Mattole in the north.

A part of the King Range Conservation Area managed by the BLM, the Lost Coast Trail is a 24 mile stretch of coast that leads north from Black Sands Beach to the Mattole River, along the wilderness beach. This is a rugged hike, not a simple walk on the beach, and is one of only a few coastal wilderness hiking experiences in the U.S. Hikers can view sea lions, tidepools and spectacular spring wildflowers. Not to mention sea otters, killer whales and bears, the latter highly skilled in the art of ursine nutritional larceny. Maybe the only beach in the country where you need a bear canister, and the only wilderness area where you need a tide chart.

Much of the trail is beach hiking with several stretches of boulders: rounded and wet, beach talus, so wear sturdy hiking boots. Stream crossings may be impassible during/after heavy winter rains (no bridges). The area near Punta Gorda from Sea Lion Gulch to Randall Creek; and from Miller Flat to Gitchell Creek may be impassible during high tide. Carry a tide table, and when in doubt, hike these stretches during an outgoing tide to avoid being trapped.

To obtain a backcountry permit, call the Bureau of Land Management, Arcata Field Office, at 707-825-2300. Or go to the website link above for more information.

Please Remember! Never turn your back on the ocean; large "sleeper" waves can occur at any time, sweeping unsuspecting hikers into the ocean.

Directions: Take the Honeydew exit from Hwy 101 (about 25 miles north of Garberville). Turn left on Bull Creek/Mattole Road and drive 22 miles. At Honeydew, turn west toward Petrolia and drive 13.5 miles. Before crossing the river, turn west on Lighthouse Road and drive five miles to the parking area.

OR: From Ferndale, take Petrolia Road 30 miles to Petrolia. Go 3/4 mile past Petrolia, cross the river and turn west onto Lighthouse Road, continue five miles to parking area.

-Note: be careful along the long drive from Hwy 101, often on narrow, winding, steep paved roads. The drive is not a recommended for motor homes or vehicles with long trailers.

If you need one specific day hike for this, call it Kinsey Ridge/Saddle Mt: The Lost Coast

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!