Originally Posted By: Whitney Fan
KevinR -- your most recent post seems to suggest that it might be considered a day hike, but honestly, it wasn't that clear to me as to the specifics of what you were saying. More detail might help. (Or if I'm wrong, and others could see precisely what you were describing, let me know!) For example, when you say "this way" "less than 20" . . . WHAT "way"? Precisely what starting and ending points are involved to wind up being less than 20 miles in contrast to the starting and ending points being 33.8 miles that I found? I was able to confirm online that Mahogany Flats is 7 miles of descent from the summit. I can buy in to the idea of someone hanging out there to pick up a returning hiker to finish the day hike (even noting that it's a 1 1/2 mile 4 wheel drive road to end the drive to Mahogany Flats). If you or someone else can come up with some definitive information for a route that describes Badwater to the Telescope summit in only 20 miles or less we then have a 27 mile hike that to my mind CAN be called a day hike. (As always, anything I opine can be commented on!)

Whoa! Don't look to me for anything regarding the feasibility of hiking Telescope from Badwater! All I was pointing out is that your starting point looks to be far east of the "usual" starting point.

I've done Telescope several times from Mahogany Flats, the usual TH. It's 14 miles, a delightful hike, especially in early fall. And, BTW - the PS maintains the access road beyond the kilns, and a 4x4 is rarely needed.