Originally Posted By: Whitney Fan
...KevinR -- your post also required me to snoop around to get more information. Here is one page I found (like wagga's nomination, there are multiple sources of further online information). Here we have another puzzle -- this looks like yet another great hike, but at 33.8 miles ONE WAY, I'm not sure if we can call this a day hike. Sleeping on the summit to end the hike? It seems that some sort of return to end the overall hiking environment would apply. Can you come up with a specific hiking plan that would rationalize this as a day hike? (It looks like there might be some way to be found online, but instead of my working to find it I thought you might know more quickly.)

It's my understanding that those who climb Telescope this way are able to get much closer to Telescope than 33.8 miles - less than 20 if memory serves, but it's still 11K' of elevation gain over rough terrain. Mostly they return via the trail (7 miles) to the TH at Mahogany Flats where a friend waits with a cooler of adult beverages. None that I talked with have ever said they'd do it a second time.