This thread was bumped up on April 2 -- one day short of 3 weeks ago. The idea was to start some interest again in nominating hikes for eventual voting to see what this board thought constituted the Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do (TUSDHYMD).

On April 11 I noted that no nominations had been made despite over a week having passed.

It is now April 22 and that fact remains -- no nominations in 20 days.

It appears that the initial enthusiasm for all this last fall was the limit of any interest.

As I said on April 11, it is what it is. It appears that although this board certainly has high membership, readership, and interest, it does not have high ENOUGH membership, readership, and interest to sustain the process and objective of finalizing a credible and authoritative TUSDHYMD.

It appears that a wider forum is necessary, and that this whole idea would have better traction if initiated and conducted by, for example, "Backpacker" magazine, or REI via in store promotion, or, well, I guess there could be a number of possibilities. But right now, again, not to this board's discredit so much as a fact of life -- not enough of a base to nominate and subsequently vote here.

It appears we should formally cancel the "contest". If we can't get nominations then we can't get votes once the nominations are finalized or, if we can, what value can they have with such apparently low interest?

Comments? Barring any brain storms to show me otherwise, I think it's best to cancel the process. We had some fun with what happened to date, and the nominated hikes are an interesting read for sure, but to pretend this can continue with the original intent is fighting reality, no?