Originally Posted By: Whitney Fan
The month of December has taken everyone's interest (and probably deservingly so).

But . . . the responsiblity of the Whitney Zone to declare the Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do (TUSDHYMD) continues!

Nominators . . . commence work!

Nominations to date .

OK< here's my first nomination for the new year. Since it has to be in the US, it is by definition only technically available to those who live in the US, its territories and possessions (yes, folks we still have colonies) etc.

I call it the Home Loop/Paradox Hike. It can be an out and back, but the loop version is far more interesting and challenging. The route description is a little vague, I know, but the good thing about that is that there is no wrong route: you can plan it meticulously, make it up as you go along or any combination of the above.

Here's the trip: you are going somewhere you have never been before, by hanging around where you spend every day: Paradox Hike. Beginning at whatever you consider your front door, walk, for half the day. Then return to your door, preferably by a different route. That's it.

The hike begins and ends at your door. Don't drive anywhere, don't bike or take a bus, and if you are hiking with someone else, neither of you takes any other form of transportation: the route description applies to everyone in the party. Overnight guests are no exception: if they don't start from their home, they are not on the same hike you are. In fact, that can be another challenge variation: do this hike with someone else, who, in order to be doing the same hike, cannot start or finish with you. Paradox Hike.

You won't need a map, but take one out of habit and good practice. I will be amazed to learn that anyone can take this hike to somewhere zhe could get well and truly lost without one. In fact that could be a challenge: try to get lost within half a day's walk of your home. Nonetheless, you will see things, amazing things, you have never seen before. Paradox Hike.

The Ultimate Merit of the Trip: the less you know about this already, the more you MUST DO this hike.

Happy New Year

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!