WBT, If you don't see how you've gone off topic into the weeds, get some feedback from others. Others have given up trying to follow your divergence into endless topics, and I have my limits too. You also keep baiting people by claiming they ignore some specific point in your long list of diatribe. It's painfully obvious. Since Chicago brought this back on topic, I'll contribute again to the thread, but I'm going to try and ignore your baiting BS about other nonsense. I could find a way to tie this in with Santa Claus somehow and claim its relevant to solar energy and then claim you haven't addressed my comment about Rudolph. Its really that obvious and ridiculous. One of your posts had 9 different topics including WWII bombing raids and Hollywood. Of course you found a way to weave some "logical" explanation for all the various topics in that rant. Its really not that hard, but its exhausting to read.

There's no doubt the EU is struggling with energy prices and a lot of other economic issues. Their aggressive approach to renewable energy helped drive down costs for the rest of the world, but unfortunately for the EU they paid much higher prices even a few years ago. The revised EU policies (yet to be decided) will surely roll back subsidies, but they keep high targets for carbon reduction. The new policy will surely allow more flexibility in how each country meets targets, which is a good thing. These changes are not all that surprising or dramatic. I can think of a lot better ways to do what they are trying to do, but with all these different countries involved, I'm surprised they can agree on anything.

As I wrote again and again, subsidies should be used to jump start things and eventually they should be phased out. EU "subsidies" are passed directly on to the consumer as higher costs, not like tax break subsidies here in the US. The EU also has much fewer natural resources than the US and they are made up of a number of different countries rather than states who all speak the same language. We are not on the same track as the EU, but of course nothing will stop you from going on and on about how we are. Whatever.

Your reply to the $4 billion dollar oil company subsidies is that every corporation gets these so it's okay. That claim is false and your solution is unrealistic. We're not going to switch to your preferred tax system anytime soon. Its so obvious we should just eliminate subsidies for the largest most profitable companies in the human history.