Hey all,

I went up on 6/10 with two other friends. We started up the trail at 1:50AM. The first two creek crossings about a mile into the trail and just before the John Muir Wilderness sign had a good flow of water crossing the trail. The first creek crossing was not sketchy, but the second creek crossing could be sketchy to the inexperienced. Slow down, use your trekking poles to stabilize and ensure a solid footing on the rocks as you cross. From there to the Whitney Zone sign is a breeze. There was a sketchy patch of snow a little ways up from the sign leading to Big Horn park that was a little icy at night. Use care when crossing this patch and you'll be fine. The hike thru the meadow at Big Horn Park thru Outpost Camp is very pleasant. Once past Mirror Lake and heading up the rocky domes above Big Horn, it can be easy to lose the trail if you don't pay attention. There's two patches of snow that cross the trail. Slow down again, get your bearings and use your best judgement. We ended up scrambling up some rocks before realizing where the trail was. Nothing really sketchy here because it's obvious where you have to go. Trail Side Meadow was beautiful with a snow free trail all the way up to nearly Trail Camp. Maybe a quarter mile before TC there's some areas where you have to hike thru a bit of snow. With a little care it's no big deal. The lake at TC is snow and ice free. We refilled there and I have to say it's the most refreshing tasting water you'll ever have. TC is snow free. The 99 switchbacks looked passable for the most part. I couldn't get a solid view of the cables but based off of a picture I saw more then a week ago, a lot of snow has melted away from the cable area which looked passable with care. My group opted to head for the chute. There's still quite a bit of snow on the chute, but it's melting fast. We started up the chute around 8:30AM. We had on Micro spikes and used our trekking poles to get up. One of the guys with me made it up a third of the way. By then the snow really got mushy and he was uncomfortable going up and trying to get down since he had no experience in snow before. The other member in my group opted to continue up. We watched him successfully make it to the top of Trail Crest in about 45 minutes. He met us later that afternoon and said it took him 2 hours to get to the summit from Trail Crest and the going was easy other then stopping to catch a breath now and then. 2 hours back to Trail Crest and about 5 minutes to glissade down the chute with an ice axe to self arrest. It was a great day, amazing weather, and awesome experience to be on Whitney again (I've summitted before 2 years ago).

Regarding the switch backs, I eventually got a decent visual on them and did see a group make there way up and thru the cables. the last switch back leading to Trail Crest had a little snow but from there to the cables appeared relatively snow free, some areas had little snow but was nothing to worry about. Majority of the snow seen on the switch backs was at the cables and a few switch backs below. With the high temps lately I'd say they'll be snow free in a week or two.

I do want to make a note regarding the chute. We saw many people not prepared to go up or down. Some had an axe and no crampons or spikes. Others had nothing at all and were using a large pocket knife as a self arresting tool. My advice is if you don't have the appropriate gear, do not go up or down the chute. Additionally, if you don't know the proper technique or are not with anyone that knows proper technique, you have no business being up there. You put yourself and others at great risk.

I wish you all the best at your attempts! Enjoy the experience, and make lots of great memories! Stay safe and use good judgement. The mountain will always be there!