We were a team of 4 doing an overnight hike on 6/16 and 6/17. We camped at the Portal campground on 6/15. Weather was great at the Whitney Portal but the basecamp was windy and cold! We started hiking up to the basecamp around 10:30 am, had lunch at Lone Pine Lake and arrived at the basecamp around 7 pm. The trail is beautiful. No issues with snow or ice although there were a few spots on the trail that's covered. We didn't need any spikes. The hiking poles helped.
A small group of 20 tents were at the base camp. No issues with finding a comfortable camp spot. Lots of marmots waiting to steal your goodies! I would suggest finding a good spot early on that's sheltered from the wind. It was super windy in the evening.
On 6/17, we began our hike up the switchbacks around 7 a.m. I would say 50% of the hikers took the switchbacks and the remainder took the chute. I saw a few people gave the chute a try and changed their minds. The switchbacks are now doable and open. The lower switchbacks have spots that were iced over. Most of the trail were wet from the snow melt. The upper switchbacks after the cables were slightly snow covered. One section of the switchback right after the cables was tricky but not impossible. I would suggest poles and spikes at a minimum. No crampons required. The cables: there are 3 poles where snow completely covered the trail. So, we had to go on the outside of the cables to get around. Just be careful as it's manageable with microspikes and poles. Hang on to the cables! :P The last switchback section to the trail crest was covered with snow! We had to scramble up the rocks to get to the trail crest sign area. I suspect with the warm weather, it should be better in that section. (by the way, try to remember how you get to the trail crest - very easy to forget the way you came up to the crest over the rocks.)
From trail crest to the summit, the trail was fine with some patches of snow and ice. I wore the spikes the entire time. I stopped short of the snow slope leading to the nut but one of my group made it to the hut smile He had to use spikes and ice axe as that section was still covered in snow. We summited around 1 p.m. On the way down, I saw quite a few people taking the chute down. They were being very careful as rocks were exposed in quite a few places. I took the switchbacks down. In the afternoon, snow was soft and the area around the cables was a little tricky to get across - again doable with spikes and poles.

There were lots of places with running water on the trail - the group got water at the basecamp and also at trailside meadow. With the snow melting fast, some of the water crossings (e.g. the first one on the trail) were tricky. Be prepared to get your boots wet! Be sure they are waterproof. smile

The altitude was rough.. the two of us that summited really felt it at 14K. But we did okay - just minor headache and short of breath. I saw a few people getting sick on the switchbacks and they turned back. Just take it easy and give yourself plenty of time to do the hike at an easy pace. It was a beautiful few days up on the mountain! Be safe and enjoy! laugh

Last edited by Luisito; 06/19/16 10:03 AM.