Hi everyone, not sure how the threads work on posting, but wanted to report back. Thanks for all the feedback, we had a successful one-day summit on 06/11/16. The forecast wasn't looking so great with 50% snow after 11 am. It ended up hailing, cloudy, a windy summit for some and rain by 8pm. As the weather changes daily (and this post becomes irrelevant), I found this site to be helpful for weather updates: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-118.277916&lat=36.592408#.V18Yx-YrLWY

Regarding the 99 switchback, we heard a few were able to use this route and only parts are covered with snow. We opted for the chute, and admittedly, this was the most challenging part of the hike. On the way up the chute, we veered off to the rocky patch as recommended by some who said it was safer. However, we found it to be slower, watching those on the chute pass us by.

On the descend, while my partner successfully glissaded, I had trouble controlling my speed. We returned late so the snow was softer and I had trouble digging my ice axe deep enough to self arrest and slow down. Crampons and ice axe highly recommended for the chute. It's rather steep and slippery so make the right choice at the top because once you slide down, there's no turning back (well, you can always can hike back up). If it's too slippery, you can also put your crampons back on and hike down. Given the condition of current snow, I would have chosen the switchback. Besides the chute, the rest can be done with regular hiking shoes. When the clouds cleared, it was a beautiful view.

It is a long hike and I commend you all for trying. I wish everyone a successful summit and wonderful experience at Whitney. The weather should only get better from here, all the best.

Last edited by Kay; 06/13/16 02:09 PM.