Char, skipping over your comment about my status as a parent, I am commenting on the basis of my status as a hiker.

We have all this drama, based upon these spot messages. Calls to rangers, when no help has been requested, for example. This would drive me nuts, if it were done on my behalf, and I think most backpackers would feel the same (although maybe not).

I don't know whether you are a backpacker and have that perspective, or not. However, if you had the same technology in your car, and you found that every time you pulled off the interstate to get gas, your family called the gas station to make sure that you were ok, you would have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Many, many of us who backpack, do so for the ability to GET AWAY from civilization. I know a number of backpackers who strongly resist the spot technology, as they don't want to be connected, and especially do not like the idea of someone, anyone, watching their progress. I hear the word "creepy". The most common thing I hear about the attraction of backpacking is "solitude", one of the primary characteristic attributes of wilderness.

However, don't mistake my commentary based upon my own experiences as a suggestion as to what others do. It's simply a perspective.

You've obviously had the conversation with your loved one. I have no doubt that you'd have her, as would most rational non-backpackers, prefer to have her carry a sat phone and call in hourly. Who wouldn't? I probably would, too.