Brett sent along these messages from his phone:

6/29-30
The last two days were very hectic. I hiked to Rainy Pass with "Team America" our group (Emma(Spider), Darren Adrienne(la machine), and me(Altimeter Man or Alti)). I earned my name through liberal use of gps altimeter readings and map skills to navigate snow covered trail. At Rainy pass our group split while some hiked on and I had to hitch to Winthrop Wa for a resupply. I spent the night at our ride (steve's) house. Steve drove us to resupply and let us stay at his place. Very nice guy and amazing place. Today hitched back to with a cool youth pastor to Rainy and hiked to Steheken 20 miles in 7 hours. Crazy! Had an amazing dinner and shared some beers with Team America. This is a great group of people! First TOUGH leg down.

7/1- had a great "nero-day" or near zero mile hike day in Stehekin. Washed clothes and took a shower before heading over to the bakery where I bought a huge sticky bun and had many cups of coffee. Took a nice nap on the lawn in front of the bakery. At 2pm we took the shuttle to the trailhead and began hiking south on the Agnew creek PCT trail. Camped by a loud creek. Saw a tan colored bear while on the bus today. Also saw a two cubs run up a tree next to the trail then saw momma who moved off the trail so we could pass. She started huffing to let us know we needed to get moving. Very cool!

7/2- hiked 19 miles to a campsite south of the Suiattle River. The river crossing was sketchy due to washed out bridge. I had a tough afternoon but met a new soboer named Nate. Spider is somewhere behind us. Long day
Steve C Edit: Actually there were two logs to cross the river at the PCT point. Crossing the Suiattle river two days later at the Sulpher Creek campground (Closed!) was hairy -- they bushwhacked 1/2 mile upstream before finding a log.

7/3 Today was the worst hiking I have ever experienced! The day started out ok walking through an old growth forest with gigantic trees ...except that half of the trees were laying across the trail. We climbed over and under about 200 dead fall on trail that has not been maintained in 8 years. All bridges were out as well. Then we hiked to a pass that was socked with white out conditions. Couldn't see 50 feet. Got lost, relied solely on GPS but ran into cliffs so had to slide down steep avalanche chutes. Slid too far then found the trail after climbing back up. Went 2 miles in 5 hours. Hiking out tomorrow on better trail and plan to hitch south.

7/4-Independence Day! Hiked out of the Glacier Peak wilderness with 3 others today. The hike out was just as hard as staying in. The trail out Milk Creek to road 26 had not been maintained in 8 years best described as Dr. Suess' Worst Nightmare -- total hell! Bush whacking and crossing bridgeless rivers. Sheriff Greg met us at the trailhead and drove us to a hotel. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Planning on checking snow conditions south of here and take a day off.

Last edited by Steve C; 07/05/10 11:24 AM.