Well, here's the update.

The four hikers (this time Brett, Darren, Adrienne and a new guy named Nick) all left the PCT trail this morning. Spyder is still up there, got behind a day or two back, and preferred to hike on her own.

Conditions at the PCT crossing the Suiattle river: there are TWO logs to cross, so no problem there. But after that, the trail is littered with blow-downs -- trees that have fallen across the trail. Brett says some were monsters.

Conditions at the pass this morning: rain and white-out. No trail, since snow is still deep up there. I suppose if they had sat it out, tomorrow might have been a better day. Rangers reported it was raining today, but tomorrow the weather changes to clear and warm.

Their map showed a trail heading down Milk Creek, with a note in the margin about a campground in two miles -- the one that is closed and inaccessible. But they did not know that. They proceeded down the Milk Creek trail, with difficult bushwhacking and many blow-downs. It has not been maintained since 2003, and everything grows fast in a rainy forest.

They finally got down to the Suiattle River, and saw the mangled remains of the washed out bridge down stream. And no log crossing. After sitting for some time, contemplating camping at that spot, Brett suggested one go upstream and another go down for 30 minutes, then return. He fortunately found a log crossing at the 30-minute point (only half a mile due to thick bush-whacking). So he returned and the group then went up and crossed the river. Heading down the road (I don't know how far), they encountered a ranger in his vehicle.

Apparently my phone inquiry to the Verlot Public Service Center (USFS) raised enough interest that they let the officer know, and he was concerned enough to head up that road. He found them, picked them up, and radioed in that he was bringing them down. I got a call about 8 PM from the Forest Service letting me know they were ok. Several hours later, they were at a motel ordering pizza and making phone calls.

I'll learn more of their plans tomorrow, but I think the group may be heading in different directions. Several may head south to Oregon and hike from there. Brett's knee is still sore, so he mentioned maybe resting a few days.

As for being a "nervous" parent... I really don't think I am nervous, except in these situations where they are walking toward no-bridge river crossings and roads with no public access for over 10 miles. And in these situations, I'd say I was more concerned than nervous. And being concerned, I'll do all I can to find out what their options might be.

And my being concerned was met with matching concern from the people in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. So I don't think it was unwarranted. I did not ask the the Forest Service to send someone up that road. Apparently they felt it was unusual and serious enough to spend some time checking up. And I am quite thankful for that.

And Brett passed along thanks from his fellow hikers to me, as well.

Ken, I think I am more of a "support crew" member. While they are on the trail, there's nothing I can or need to do. But watching and seeing something unusual gives me the opportunity to get to work and help if help might be needed. I think my providing information to forest service beats trail crew members being mistaken for pot growers.