Since I just did a JMT with single foam mat in summer without throwing out my back, I may do dual foam for winter. I will do some testing in the snow this winter once I get the tent and sleeping bag sorted, since I have several Z-Rests (short to long) and two inflatables to choose from.

Re tent - starting to turn away from the bombproof Everest shelters in favor of a lighter single wall tarp tent (MSR Twin Peaks or Twin Sisters) based on the advice from somebody who has been out there in April to May on ski. Saves easily 5+ pounds over a full tent, costs a lot less, and uses the poles you already carry for support. I know there's probably going to be that 100-year storm when I am out there, but when it gets really bad, I'll just have to dig a snow cave, something I've done before and didn't enjoy much.

I think in the coming weeks I need to head out to the local ski hill to see if I can still do it - that snow shoe thing is starting to sound like a lot of work and possibly too slow for the distances that need to be covered. I'd still need to bring a pair for the parts I won't dare to ski.