It would have been nice for Mr Oye to complete the NEPA process that was started with the EA report describe above. The NEPA process is where all of these issues could've been debated in the usual structured framework with public review. His 1-page memo instituting his policy makes it harder to garner public support for WAG bags and generally undermines his decision, in my opinion. I hear Mr Oye is back in Washington now.

Please read the report linked above that demonstrates 27 years of successful performance of a solar toilet system at 12,760 ft on Long's Peak, a 14'er in Colorado Rocky Mtn NP with similar heavy use as Whitney. This is higher elevation and higher latitude than Trail Camp. There is no question that a modern solar toilet system is practical and could be a success at Whitney. Perhaps Mr Oye was not provided accurate information, which is another reason why he should have completed NEPA to get a 360deg perspective.

Maintenance could and I think should be contracted out to free up Ranger's time, as is done by the National Park Service. The term "hazardous waste sites" makes toilets sound like a nuclear site. Human waste is dealt with by thousands of people across the country every day. The guys pumping out porta potties are not wearing space suits, but it does require special handling. Composted waste is much less objectionable and the volume and weight is greatly reduced.

Here's a link to a funny website with dozens (or hundreds?) of outdoor latrines in National Parks and Forests. If you scroll down several pages of photos, you see 30 "scenic" toilets along the JMT. Backcountry toilets are appropriate and commonly used for high impact areas. With 200 people on the trail on any given day, I think people appreciate a toilet system and are willing to accept the compromise on a tiny portion of the 22 mile trail. They were there on Whitney for decades. If they had only been of better design...

http://wildernessvagabond.com/scenictoilets/scenictoilets.htm

Last edited by SierraNevada; 09/11/11 10:23 AM.