Originally Posted By: saltydog
In any event, SEKI issues bags with HST permits, and says at the time (and I think on the permit with Whitney exit)that they are required past Crabtree. Not so?

Are they just cooperating with Inyo or did SEKI/NPS actually issue a rule?

Good question. I was not aware of SEKI handing out bags for the HST or implying they are mandatory. I thought they had a cache of bags at Crabtree and that was the extent of their cooperation with Inyo on this. SEKI originally advised Inyo against the WAG bag alternative in a long letter commenting on the 2004 Environmental Assessment. I guess they had to adapt to the situation once the toilets were removed.

It brings up another question - what does a northbound JMT hiker do with his/her plump WAG bag, carry it all the way to Yosemite Valley? Do they have a collection point at Crabtree?

I just want to add that everyone should still use WAG bags because there really is no good alternative right now. The purpose of bringing all this up is to be honest with the people who are shouldering the burden for this solution. They should not be relying on public deception and evasion of environmental law to force this on everyone, in my humble opinion.