Originally Posted By: SierraNevada
Originally Posted By: Chris B
this is not the correct venue to cause change.
Agree, the purpose of this thread is stated right up front, post #1, "This thread will give some background info, share some info, and open up discussion on a sensitive subject."

I would suggest pursuing the proper channels to try and effect change.
I have been discussing this through the proper channels at Inyo NF. They are still figuring out what happened and looking for documents.

I was shocked at my trip in mid-July to see so many WAG bags along the trail
Seems to be a common impact, which might explain the interest in this otherwise mundane topic.

Additionally, if you truly stand behind every word you've stated, you would give much more credibility to your cause and voice by being honest with your identity, not hiding behind a screen name.
Don't shoot the messenger. Like most everybody, yourself included, I choose to exercise my right to privacy here.

Though I post infrequently, I have been an avid lurker on these boards for some time, and your appearance and discussion of WAG bags has become more bothersome than informative or thought-provoking.
Thanks for making the transition and posting your opinion, whatever it is. Maybe we can get public opinion back into the decision making process on this controversial issue?

I guess it's somewhat hot-button for me to see people complain on public forums. As someone still in my 20s, I've grown with the digital age and I see far too many people using the internet to complain, and not taking proper courses of action. Forums are especially common for this type of behavior, due to anonymity and ease of access. Spreading awareness is one thing. Arguing the point to those that question facts and can't do anything to change the sitation seems pointless in light of your audience.

If Inyo personnel lurk, that's great and I'm sure very insightful to the experiences of Whitney hikers. However, they possess the same anonymity, and are no more likely to attempt change than if they never saw the thread. That's why more direct accountability needs to be established.

I would gladly support an alternative to the WAG problem, if it was truly beneficial, meaning no additional strain on staff or finances. My opinion is the WAG issue is a problem, but not necessarily one with a clear-cut and easy response. At the end of the day, though, regardless of whether they go with toilets or bags, people will continue to be irresponsible with the gifts we've been given.