OK: Here's an interesting little factoid. I just did a pretty thorough search of the Inyo NF website, and the only statement I found that packing out human waste is required is in a couple of press releases from around 2006 and 2007. The only other mention of wag bags I found is in the information on permits: that the bags are handed out with permits, not that they are required. You would think that if it were a requirement, you would come across it looking for a permit.

The only mention on the site itself of wag bags and packing out is in the Mt Whitney advisory you can find -- if you look for it -- on the Mt Whitney information section downloadable on the permit page:
Whitney pdf

This page carefully says that wagbags are the "only acceptable method" in a long persuasive paragraph, but unlike with bear canisters, never says they are required. This may sound like nit picking, but Inyo chose to put it this way, and everywhere else says "required" when they mean "reguired". There is a big difference here between arguing for them and requiring them. Clearly the intent here is to convey the idea that they are required without stepping over the line of saying so.

There are specific instructions on disposing of human waste by burying it elsewhere on the site, but aside from the old press releases, I couldn't find that Inyo actually says anywhere that pack-out of human waste is required.

How they got the message out there that hikers are required to pack it out may be a genius piece of policy and communication, but as far as I can tell -- and I say this advisedly -- it looks like it ain't so.

Someone please tell me where this is wrong. And "Everyone knows it" is not a good answer. Show me.

And PS: Yes as of last year SEKI goes through the drill when issuing permits with Whitney exits: I still have several from last year after backing off Kaweah Gap

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!