After talking with the Inyo Forest Supervisor Ed Armenta and Whitney District Ranger Margaret Wood, I realized they need some sort of push to get them to revisit this issue. They seem to realize they made a mistake in the NEPA process, but they aren't likely to dedicate resources to finish the Environmental Assessment on their own. I mentioned that I would be sending an appeal letter to get them to dedicate resources to this issue. They were not thrilled, but okay with it. Both the Forest Supervisor and District Ranger are new, so I think they will take a fresh look at this if they see enough interest in the issue. Steve reviewed the appeal letter and posted it on this website for you to sign and send in.

Think of the appeal letter as a petition letter. The more letters they get, the more serious they will take this. The letter reads somewhat legalistic by necessity. They have a couple technicalities they can use to dismiss it, but they can't ignore it, and it can be elevated if necessary. The important thing is for everyone interested to send in a copy to persuade them to finish the NEPA process and reconsider new toilets. At the very least, consider new toilets at Outpost Camp on a trial basis.

If you include a cover letter, realize these people did not make these decisions, but they are the ones who can make a change. So be polite and factual. If you submitted comments back in 2004, then we really need you - please post or PM me or Steve if you were involved in 2004.

The appeal letter is at:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/docs/misc/NEPA_Appeal_EA_to_InyoNF.pdf

For those of you pushing for action on this issue, here's your chance! Post or PM if you have questions or comments.