Originally Posted By: Char Marshall
It comes down to using the devices appropriately and within the wishes of the backpacker.

I think that nails it down pretty well. My wife and family follow along via tracking mode, but understand that no matter what, they aren't going to be able to do anything. My OK message means "Running on Schedule" and my HELP message means "Running Behind". That's it. Either I'm on time or I'm not. Once I head out on a trip I am going to get myself out of a jam or if it's life threatening, I'll hit the 911 button. Life threatening. To me that means if I ever want to see my family again before we all join up in the heavens, I better press the button. Hasn't happened yet, I hope it never does.

When I get stuck out longer than I planed everyone knows because I have briefed them where I expect to be at what time (usually on big trips - not 15-18 hour day hikes). My wife knows that if I were to get caught out late enough to call my boss and let him know I'm stuck in the woods, but it's not life threatening.

That's how we do it here - other folks have their own system. I always hike as if the SPOT weren't there - I don't try to overload my limited skill set because I have a mommy button. You won't ever hear of DUG calling 911 because the water is salty. smile................................DUG

Last edited by DUG; 07/05/10 12:55 PM.