In light of the recent death on Mt. Whitney perhaps this topic is worth re-consideration.

While others offer very good alternative solutions (map and compass, entrance/exit plans, etc….) the reality is that had John Likely been using a SPOT/InReach he would have been located much sooner (IMO).

There are several options available that offer the option of sending out a “SOS”, and/or leaving tracking points, that could easily save someone’s life, or enable the finding of someone who is lost and (for whatever reason) unable to send out a “SOS”. For those of you that have been on S&R events I would think that you would appreciate any additional information as to the location of the missing hiker. While these devices are not "fail safe" they certainly would have been of immense value while looking for John (had he carried one). While the signals coming (or not coming) from a deep chute might not be consistent, those leading up to the event would have given S&R a time/distance limit as to his last (reliably) known position. In this case I believe the location of John's body would have certainly been known sooner.

We all use calculators today. Who does square root function by hand? Why not use today’s technology for location/navigation services? Sure, map and compass is fairly fail safe, but so are today’s electronic tools. We all use flashlights, wear boots with sticky bottoms, use advanced climbing tools (for those who do technical climbing). Why are we so slow to adopt electronic navigation and communication tools? I certainly understand that today’s electronic tools have their limitations (and do not advocate abandonment of map and compass) and need to be used with those limitations in mind, but that said, they do offer many advantages for those who are able to adopt newer technologies.

I appreciate the preference for a "wilderness" experience, but the user is in control as to how the device is used. Simply limit any intrusive activity (If you prefer, choose not to activate the emergency option, even in the face of death – at least S&R will be able to recover your body for your loved ones). Only allow outgoing tracking. There is no intrusion if used in this fashion (IMO).

Or, what about this hypothetical question: What if I come across you in a remote location, where you have broken your leg, and cannot move. Would you prefer that I not activate the SOS function of my InReach Satellite device, and ask only that I hike back to civilization in order to find a land line (no new fangled cell phones allowed) in order to call for help?

Anyway, my two cents.