"Or, what about this hypothetical question: What if I come across you in a remote location, where you have broken your leg, and cannot move. Would you prefer that I not activate the SOS function of my InReach Satellite device, and ask only that I hike back to civilization in order to find a land line (no new fangled cell phones allowed) in order to call for help?"

There seems to be a general misunderstanding as to what people mean by the quality of their activity.

We all seem to use analogies, so here's mine: a lot of people have been on a trapeze, but it is an altogether different experience to use a trapeze WITHOUT A NET. There are those people in the world who want to experience the outdoors on it's terms, not "made safer" or some might say "dumbed down". That is not how most people look at these activities, I realize, and are happy to use whatever makes the trip easier and safer. Personally, I think it is great to have a variety of ways to do things.

There has been a tradition of some people to use an approach similar to the "old ways". I know a guy who trekked to Everest Base Camp wearing clothing that imitated that which Hillary wore. I wouldn't do that, but it was important to him.

My fellow professional sailing instructor, Yoh Aoki sailed the 21-foot sailboat that he built at home around the world. He had no GPS, no radio, no engine, no Sat Phone. It is not particularly rare for people to do this each year. They are typically in highly engineered 40-50 foot boats loaded with electronics. Good for them. Some make it. But they will NEVER, EVER be able to say they sailed around the planet "just like Yoh".

I don't quite understand the position that doing things a different way than the way that person prefers to do them is illegitimate.

And John, I'm sure that the trapeze user who has an accident without a net would like you to use your cell phone to call 911. Why would someone in the wilderness be different? The game is not carrying the electronics, but it does not extend to not accepting help from those you encounter. That would have been true in 1850. Whaddaya expect? We'll drag our sorry bodies out of the way so you don't know we're there? wink

Frankly, the refrain that people are stupid because they (don't carry a PLB, Sat Phone, water filter, use hot food, wear the "right" footwear, wear cotton, have accidents, are affected by lack of oxygen, die) just gets a little old.

Life is a terminal condition.