Originally Posted By: John Sims
I have an older model InReach

I've never taken any electronics on my various solo trips over the years. As L Conn had expressed @ HST, he felt in more danger driving up to the E Sierra from LA than in the mountains. I almost always take the 395 from the 15, and I'm one of those guys way over straddling the right lane marker.

And, of course, I never run that stretch at night - especially when the drunks are out between midnight and 2-3am. So, if I take off from OC around 4am, I can hit that stretch @ 5am, and it's just me, some truckers and maybe a few early-bird RVs.

However, ever since the Heng incident on Langley, when I followed the same route up 2 days later, but then went down to Miter, then over Crabtree, and then to Whitney, my wife has become a little more "involved".

My last trip on the PCT was typically uneventful, but then the trip down from Whitney was a little more interesting. Then the recent SAR events off the main trail got me to finally read this thread, and here I am.

I like the bread crumbs feature - considering that most of the recent incidents have been falls (and in my case since I do moderate x-c, that would be my most likely accident), it doesn't seem like anyone would be in any condition to activate a PLB.

The SPOT device seems to continue having critics, so I read with interest about the InReach communicator. Bottom line, I am joining the dark side, so my question is: which model, the good 'ole SE or something else?

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreachse.php

Last edited by Hobbes; 06/24/14 05:42 PM.