Originally Posted By: Cory Freeman
in regards to the Inreach device, I was hoping someone could clarify this for me: when sending a text or email from the trail to my wife it only shows up on Delorme's web portal Mapshare correct? In other words i can't send a txt or email to her cell phone right? And for her to send me a txt or email it needs to initiate through the webportal?

Also anyone have experience with canceling the month to month plan with Delorme? Read a couple negative reviews on amazon and REI regarding bad customer service and hard to cancel subscription (Freedom Plan).

Thanks for any clarity on these questions.

Hi Cory,

The Inreach sends text or or e-mail (or both) to whoever you specify. Just like using txt messaging on your iPhone/Android. Uses Satellite for communications instead of cell towers or WiFi. Your wife can also reply, and you will receive her txt message via InReach. Works great! Also shows up on Mapshare, if you specify Mapshare as one of the recipients of the message. Only limitation is 160 (I think) characters/message. Send/Receive is not quite as instantaneous as normal text message or e-mail due to need for Satellite to be overhead, but normally within several minutes.

John