Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com
John,

In order to use these apps, I assume you can't put your phone in airplane mode, correct?

I've found that my iPhone is pretty much useless for tracking, since he batteries run out so fast if it isn't in airplane mode. I miss my android phone. It actually tracked well and had decent battery life. I used to put it in airplane mode, then turn on the GPS.

Originally Posted By: Hobbes

Got it - ordered the SE.

Please let us know your experience with it. Since we're somewhat local to each other, I would love to check it out in person sometime, if we happen to be interested in doing the same hike at some point. I'm also very interested in your UL gear.

63Chevyll,

The answer is a little complicated (and may be different for the SE vs. my old brick. In fact, I "guess" much, but not all, of the iPhone utility is included in the SE unit):
- The InReach operates both "on its own", and in conjunction with the iPhone/Android app - Earthmate. You can turn tracking on/off and send the pre-programmed messages without the iPhone being turned on or even present. In this case your iPhone battery usage is zero. However, to get the full utility from the InReach it is necessary for the iPhone to be left on with the Earthmate application running (but make sure the display is not left on). Bigger map/keyboard, custom messages, receive messages, etc... It may be that this utility is also present with the SE, so your dependence on the iPhone may be less. The app will run in the background, so you are free to use other applications as you like.

Using the Earthmate app requires that you NOT put your phone in airplane mode. While the InReach device has its own gps, the mapping function on your iPhone uses the internal GPS. This is also true for other applications that you may want to use (GPS4CAM, SportsTracker, ViewRanger, etc....)

Even running several apps concurrently I have not had a problem with battery life. I find that WIFI is the biggest drain (if left on to search for nearby WIFI stations). I simply turn off WIFI, and leave bluetooth on. I easily get 12 hours from the iPhone 5 battery. I also use a mophie case that includes a battery, good for over one full charge. The last hike where I used the InReach lasted 8.5 hours and I had over 60% of the internal battery left, with no use of the mophie case battery. It adds a bit of weight, but also provides protection for the iPhone. With it, and the regular battery I'm good for at least 24 hours. Since I only do day hikes (For sleeping I prefer air conditioning, hot/cold running water, clean sheets, etc...) this is more than ample. I also have an ANKER 6000 mAh battery that I could take along, that would extend the time of use to several days. Beyond that, I'm afraid you will need a solar panel.

Regards,

John

EDIT: You could also rely on the SE unit for all non iPhone unique functions, only turning the iPhone on for those functions limited to iPhone availability. Then I guess you would get many days use from the iPhone battery. There may some loss of function by running this way, but it is another option.

Last edited by John Sims; 06/25/14 12:25 PM.