"My my, but you do take things literally whistle

Do you use either a SPOT, InReach, or some other satellite communications device?

Interesting that you are now recommending how I should or should not use my InReach.

Do you understand the concept of "tongue in cheek"?"
----------------------------------------------
Well, I'll be the first to testify that joking, irony, and sarcasm often do not translate well on the 'net. If I've misunderstood you, I apologize if my responses seemed inappropriate to your meaning.

I have never used a communication device, although I have been on hikes where others did. When I am on a trail crew, I am required to carry a USFS radio, that generally work everywhere, using the USFS system of repeaters. I hate them, but am required to have them. I see the utility, and agree to their need in that setting, but I am not on a recreational hike, either.

I'm not sure if you are serious, but I am not recommending IN ANY WAY how you should use your devices. I am putting forth the argument that many members of the public would make, and do make. I consider them just as irrelevant to you, as yours is to others....about what you "should" do, or any other hiker "should" do.