Originally Posted By: Steve Chamberlin

But for that true emergency when your hiking buddy (or you) falls down a cliff and breaks his leg, why not carry a PLB? That's exactly what they're designed for. I view it in the same category as carrying an emergency whistle or building a signal fire.

My second analogy: free solo climbing

There are those who like to do this sort of climbing, which means that you are up on the rock with no protection of any kind. You are not attached to anything. They say the sensation of accomplishment is unbelievable, and that those who don't know the apex of living.

Many people find this insane, however I think it is a matter of degree. Is free soloing insane on 3rd class rock, like many of us do and have done? YES,THAT IS WHAT MOST PEOPLE THINK. Many people climb the MR unroped, in fact, most. The professionals all use ropes with their clients. Hmmmm.

It all comes down to VALUES. People value different things differently.

John wants to tell us how to hike based upon his values:

"those wanting that experience should discard their vibram soled shoes, down puff jackets, water proof shells, light weight cooking kit, etc..., strap on some leather soled or hobnail boots, canvas breeches, wool coats, oil skin slickers, etc....., and pray it does not rain."

Doesn't seem to be any room in John's world for people making their own decisions without derision.