Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com
Originally Posted By: GandC
Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com

The cost is prohibitive for me too. If I bought one, it looks like it would cost me $700 for the first year ( The Recreation Plan + the cost of the device).

That's about the number I came up with as well. They do have the Freedom Plan that allows you to choose what months you want it active for, but I don't see that saving me a whole lot of money since I hike year round.

I came up with $615 for 6 months.

I have an older model InReach, but the plan costs are the same. I use the "saftey" plan, so it is only $11.95/month. I could switch to the freedom plan for $14.95/month, but that will not save me any money if I am using it every month. Total plan costs per year for Safety Plan:
- Activation costs: $19.95
- Monthly costs: $11.95/month or $143.40/year
Total first years cost: $163.35 Plus "overage charges"
Since I have been on this plan for a couple of years my annual cost for the plan is $143.40/year.
Cost of equipment: $299.95 list. I bought my older unit from REI on sale for $50.00 off, plus 10% REI rebate. If you buy at full list from REI your cost is 10% less, or $269.96.
So, total first years cost (not including overages):
Activation: 19.95
Monthly cost: 11.95 or $143.40
Equipment cost: $269.96 (plus tax)
Total cost for first year: $433.30
There after annual cost is: $143.40

Overage costs: They do not need to be excessive, because:
- Pre-programmed messages are free. Send as many as you wish - no charge. Limitation is only 3 predefined messages. For example: Starting hike, All is OK, Finished Hike. Really, you do not need anymore, but you have the option to send custom messages as you like for the cost of: $.50 each. This is a bit understated because if you send it to three people you will be charged for 3 messages (could be 4 since you will also want to send it to to your map for others to see). Also, if you allow it, others can send you messages, which will also cost $.50 each. so you overage costs are primarily determined by your own usage. The tracking points cost $.10 each, but I set mine to drop a crumb every 30 minutes, so a long hike (10 hours) will only cost $2.00. Not too bad IMO.

Messages work best when used in conjunction with a smart phone. Better keyboard, better/bigger display, etc.....

In answer to the question about the map: You will have a web address for "Your" map. Pass out the address to anyone you like, and they can track your progress (provided they have access to the web). No charge.

While the first year's cost may seem high, thereafter it does not seem prohibitive to me.

One disclaimer: Since I own an older model, I am not "positive" as to the operation of the SE model, but I "think" is know how it works. The Earthlink app on your smart phone also give you access to fairly good maps at no charge. For more information the REI web site is actually fairly good: http://www.rei.com/product/857610/delorme-inreach-se-2-way-satellite-communicator

One other important difference between the InReach and the SPOT: The InReach tells you if the message has been sent, or not. It does need to find a Satellite, so it may take a few minutes for the message to be sent, but when it is sent you will know it. No ambiguity.

Last edited by John Sims; 06/24/14 05:35 PM. Reason: Add comment on message sent status