Originally Posted By: GandC
Originally Posted By: Chicagocwright
In other words I am assuming that if I am in a situation that I can't get myself out of, I don't have any "personal contacts" that would be able to assist. I am assuming that is the case for most people.

I tend to agree with you, which is why I asked the question I asked earlier about the ramifications for hitting the help button. I have decided that my help button is going to be my new "bad news" button, and have a message saying that I'll be gone an extra night or something to that effect.

These devices aren't designed solely for hikers, climbers, and backpackers though. I would imagine the situation you're looking for might be some kind of car trouble if the carrier is driving a long distance, or even a maritime incident where you're stuck off shore with no gas, but don't need a search party to come find you.

Yes, the Help function is pretty much worthless in backpacking. Friends can't drop everything and come to your aid. It only raises concern. That's why I use it as a "poor man's tracking" function -- it's an alternate use.

GandC is right: they aren't just for hikers. Spot is marketing to lots of other groups besides hikers.