Originally Posted By: Steve C
Yet I was told by a SEKI ranger that he thought someone carrying a SPOT or similar communicator device was not having a true "Wilderness Experience". It was, of course, just his personal opinion, and I would disagree strongly.

John, we can't make people carry those units, but I carry mine, and think more people should.

Well, I suppose the expression "Wilderness Experience" needs to be better defined. If it means seclusion and being "at one" with nature, then my point about these devices being non intrusive (if used appropriately) applies. If the definition is slanted more toward being in the wilderness without access to modern comforts and conveniences then those wanting that experience should discard their vibram soled shoes, down puff jackets, water proof shells, light weight cooking kit, etc..., strap on some leather soled or hobnail boots, canvas breeches, wool coats, oil skin slickers, etc....., and pray it does not rain.

Of course it is a personal decision as to the use of one of these devices, but like you, I will continue to carry my InReach when I feel the situation warrants it. Based on John Likely's experience I will most probably lower my "risk threshold" for deciding when to bring it along. For instance, in the past, I've not carried it for the Main trail. In the future I will.