We hiked up Saturday morning for what we hoped would be a day trip to the summit. We started out at about 3:30am in the dark. Lone Pine Creek was running stronger than I had expected, snow started right after [we took the main trail up]. Maybe 1/2 mile after Lone Pine Creek the trail just ends into snow for as far as they eye can see, so we followed the paths in the snow, but there were footprints all over the snow, so I was uncertain whether we were on the trail or not. Snow was slippery and hard, definitely need crampons, axes, walking canes, etc and warm gear. Water is still running down the mountain under the snow, so watch your step or you'll posthole into freezing water.

I'm not a mountaineer, just a hiker, weight lifter, outdoor enthusiast and was definitely out of my range on this trip! I had done lots of research before taking off, but nothing prepared me for the amount of snow, the lack of trail signs or the weather! After hiking for about 5 hours at a fast pace we turned around, completely disappointed and humbled by the awe and raw power of the mountain.

In the end, it was gorgeous and exhilarating, but glad we attempted it and very glad we were smart enough to know our limits and turn back before the blizzard hit! Whitney, you're a gorgeous beast and I will try you again someday [in the summer!]