Hello everyone,

There is a great site called Mountaineducation.org that has posted, and will continue to post thru hike conditions from Horseshoe Meadows - Mt. Whitney - Onion Valley.
Pretty good stuff that I thought would be appreciated here.

Here's the link to the report but I've also posted it below. http://mountaineducation.org/trail-snow-condition-reports/

Enjoy! - Sean

2017 Reports:

May 10, 2017:

(Horseshoe Meadows to Guyot Pass)

Snowline (SL): 9,000

Creek Crossings (CC): Rock Creek has a log crossing upstream

Specific Details (SD):

1. Temperatures: 30-60 degrees

2. Snow Condition: Consolidated with a surface crust, 6-12″ of slush, then another ice layer (to slip on). Hiking crampons worn daily, depending on snow condition and slope aspect.

3. Snow Depth: (per Snow Surveyor) 200% of normal in southern Sierra with greater amounts to north similar to winter of 1968.

4. Creeks: Most are running higher than during normal pre-thaw time frames, but lower in volume than after the thaw starts. Most still have intact and reliable snow bridges, though are open in many places to get water (no need yet for creek crossing shoes).

5. Daily Logistics: It feels like the thaw is going to start soon, so days are quite warm and the snow gets soft and slippery early. Best to start your days as early as you can see (0600) and quit when potholing gets painful.

6. Trails: All buried above 9,000 feet depending on slope aspect, though we did see 100 feet of trail on one south-facing slope.

Horseshoe Meadows (HM) road is currently closed, but may be open by mid-June. HM has 2-4 feet of snow throughout. all Passes into it have snow, Mulkey, Trail, and Cottonwood.

Mt. Whitney, though not seen directly, yet, I do not expect to be safe for ascent by the average thru hiker for some time.

Forester’s chute “trail” should be cut this week.

Onion Valley road is open and has sufficient snow depth at the trailhead to allow skiing down the the asphalt.