My trip 7/12-7/14
Camped at the portal on 7/11
Hiked to Trail camp on 7/12:
Still two good sized snow fields as you approach Consultation lake and trail camp. Spikes/crampons not necessary but will help. Trekking poles help.

Summit day 7/13:
We climbed the chute. Crampons/ice axe are a must. Took us 3 hours from trail camp to Trail Crest. Start early, snow gets slushy and slippery as the sun comes up. As we approached the top it was increasingly difficult. People were making it up the switchbacks. There is still snow to cross at the base of the switchbacks. Snow crossing at the cables, one decent snow crossing about half way up, and one snow crossing as you approach Trail Crest. There are also a few small scrambles to cut a few switchbacks that are under snow. Easily makable but bring spikes for the snow, you'll be glad to have them.

After climbing the chute we were exhausted and felt we took too long and didn't have time to Summit as thunder clouds had been rolling through the last two afternoons.
We took a break at the top of the chute and decided to start back down the switchbacks.
But we noticed the weather was holding up nicely and people were still making their way up to Trail Crest to summit. We turned around and headed back to the top of the Crest and on to the summit. Best change of heart ever. When the sun was out it was hot up there along the way. Got occasional wind and hail/ snow. Those last two miles are tough, but once at the top, it's all worth it! Hiked back to Trail Crest and decided against glissading the chute due to our late descent and the conditions of the snow. Looked extremely difficult to slow down. Saw at least one person almost lose control and the screams could be heard throughout the entire area. Take extreme caution in glissading. We hiked down the switchbacks ( put our crampons on for the snow crossings) and it was a breeze. We broke off the trail near the cables and did a shorter glissade down towards Trail Camp.
Stayed at Trail Camp and packed up and out the following morning after getting up at 4am to watch the sun rise. Everybody going up early this day were taking the switchbacks up.

Incredible trip and so glad we were able to summit. This was our first time up Whitney.

We had trained hard and were physically prepared. The challenges were the elevation and staying hydrated. I had difficulty sleeping at 12000'. Rest and stay hydrated. On our way down from the summit we encountered a group who had a member suffering from severe AMS. If anyone is feeling effects of AMS turn around immediately. Before this trip I had never been above 11,200' and I was concerned about AMS. I felt great and I feel camping at Trail Camp helped a lot.

Overall an amazing trip, one of the most beautiful places on earth. We can't wait to go back. Our biggest fears were having to climb the chute as we had no experience with crampons and ice axes. But we made it and had a great time.

Thanks for all the info, we followed this forum daily leading up to our trip.
Happy trails!