Hey Vineet,

Since you guys are going during the week, you are more likely to get a walk in. I have done it before last year in August during the week of August 7th-10th. We came into the visitor center in lone pine around 9am on a Sunday and got an overnight permit. Also got an overnight wilderness permit for little Yosemite valley and got up to half dome at sunrise which was the longest backpacking treks I did in 5 days. I think this is usually the ideal time to visit and summit whitney because it's one of the warmest months of the year.

I would love to tag along but I'm heading up June 29th, and planning to hike to trail camp on Friday the 30th, Saturday reach the summit then back to camp and then camping at consultation lake that night. Sunday mid day on July 2nd, I'll head down the mountain.

The trek from camp to trail crest is looking like the chute is the option. I've heard people have made "trails switchbacking up the chute" I think that its still going to be necessary to use ice crampons and an axe. Not sure if I'm gonna bring an axe but possibly trekking poles but we will see closer to the date. So looking at the posts and also pictures. Crampons are a must at this point so I hope you have experience with crampons and also download a gps app. The one I have is called GAIA ands well worth the $30. You can use it airplane mode and download a pre-programmed map. Also study the topography in person so you get an ideal visualization of where you are going. I hope this helps

-Brian