Hello. My name is Veronica. I read your recent post about doing Mt Whitney and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions?
I have been waiting to do Whitney for 4 years now. When I started getting into hiking and enjoying nature 4 years ago I never thought I would want to do more. But I fell in love with it. I have only ever done day hikes. I've done half dome and Gorgonio and Wilson and baldy and etc. point is. I've done so good hikes. However I've never been in snow conditions. The most snow I've been in was my first time to Yosemite and I dealt with the black ice on rocks while hiking the tall falls. I've never used crampons, or an ice ax. The only climbing I've done is indoor rock climbing. But I do hike often and I work out often and I'm in physical shape.
My questions are:
If I get the right equipment should I really even attempt the chute? Or is it only professionals that can complete it safely? I have two little kids to get home to. I'm not planning on glissading because I've read how dangerous it is for people who have never done it. So I'm not planning that.
I'm supposed to leave next week on Wednesday and have the day permit for next Thursday and what I'm scared of is spending all this money even in gas to try to attempt her when I know it's not safe to do the chute.
You did he chute but you sound like maybe you have experience with ice and crampons and ice axes.
Would you say someone who doesn't have any experience with any of this even with the right gear can do the chute up and down safely?
Sorry if I double sent this to you I was trying to reply but I'm new to all of this