HI Rob,

I have a DeLorme InReach (original "brick"), which I purchased in the summer of 2012. I only use if when I'm going "off trail", or to a destination that I feel presents some risk. I first used it when I did the Mountaineer's Route in Sept., 2012.

As you can see it did not correctly place my first message. This is the only message/bread crumb/etc.... that has not been accurately placed.

Another time I used it was to go up Old Army Pass (June, 2013). As you can see, all positions accurately placed.

I picked DeLorme/InReach because of:
- Iridium Satellite system
- Two way text. I can both send and receive text messages (composed "on the spot")
- I can also send predefined text messages. Depending on your plan these can be free.
- "Safety Plan" is ~$11.00/month and does include some free text messages, and low cost for overage. See their web site for more details about different plans offered. They now offer a plan that you can start and stop as you like. Previously they required a minimum of 1 year.
- With SOS you can also send and receive text info to/from SAR.
- Your friends/family can follow your progress on their computers/Phones/Pads/etc... They can also initiate a text message to you (if you allow it). I discourage it. I do not need to hear how great I'm doing smile
- Specify how often bread crumbs are dropped
- Select from road/satellite/topo maps.
- Download maps to your phone for use when out of range of wifi or cell tower.
- etc.....

Let me know if you have any questions.

John