I did a solo hike on Thursday, July 20th. I started at 4:30AM from the Portal after a mile or so hike from my campsite.

Smooth going the first 4.5 miles or so (about a mile from Mirror Lake). Then I followed the wrong trail. I saw a guy putting on crampons and about to head up a huge snow field. I didn’t notice the trail continued to my right. I just saw a worn trail up the snow field. So, I threw on my micro-spikes. I wish I’d known about the proper trail but didn’t realize the mistake until I was already headed down later that day. I think the main trail would have been a bit quicker going.

I had a hard time finding the beginning of the switchbacks but once you get closer, they’re more obvious. There is a section of the switch backs towards the bottom with some snow that make it a but of a guessing game. The cable area is clear, the one large bank of snow that required climbing over has enough space behind it to pass. There are a couple other areas that require crossing snow.

Once to the Trail Crest it’s all clear. The challenge came in finding the final path to the summit when you only have .25 miles to go. Seems there are a couple different routes but they can be hard to see. I scrambled a bit until I found a trail.

I got to the top at 9:15AM. It was perfect up there. I was comfortable in a t-shirt and shorts. I spent an hour or so on top enjoying conversation with other hikers and sharing stories. I headed back down and found the snow was already getting slushy by the time I reached the crossings. It made my micro-spikes less useful.

Helpful information I gathered through my own experience and talking to others:
- Take at least 3 liters of water with you from Trail Camp. Maybe more.
- Drink frequently
- You can make it with hiking boots or trail runners (with good tread) but having some micro-spikes would be a plus
- The chute is now more effort than it’s worth from what people were saying. People I spoke to outpaced their companions who took the chute
- I tried counting the switchbacks. It took my mind off the effort and before I knew it, I was at Trail Crest
- Keep an eye out for stacked rocks. These are stacked by hikes to mark the trail. It’s very helpful when disoriented even if some people don't like them.
- Give yourself plenty of time. The last two miles to the summit takes a while. Take it slow and easy. It’s worth it!

Have fun out there!

Cheers,
Chad

Last edited by Chad H; 07/21/17 10:01 AM.