Originally Posted By: wbtravis
Today's hiker has very little basic knowledge

This reminds me of an experience I had in Nepal in 2014.
This is from my trail memoirs:

As we descended from 17,000 to 11,000 ft, in damp fog and dark by headlamp, it was about 35 F as we were finally returning to small towns after a long day. We had several discussions about trail junctions. There were rarely signs at junctions, and the maps were incomplete or inaccurate. We used judgment quite a bit. We were surprised to see a young American, his way barely lit by only his Smartphone, no headlamp. His dayhike had turned into a nighthike. He asked us for directions. He had missed the three-way junction about 1.5 hrs above Namche and wanted to go to Khumjung to see the Edmund Hillary monument. Without data transmission available, he had neither current GPS nor did he have a stored map. He also had no pack or extra clothing in event of getting stranded. But he did have a Smartphone picture of one trail junction he had passed, probably the largest signed junction (not in English) that we had seen. He did not understand the signs, the trails or his situation, including battery life or his risk of exposure. We got him turned to the right direction. Hopefully he made it in the dark to Khumjung. If he got lost again, died in the cold unprepared, then I can visualize what monument they could erect for him, not next to Sir Edmund:
"Here lies modern man:
SmartPhone but DumbAss."